Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Big Old Windows=Impossible Finding Curtains

I have searched high and low to find curtains that fit my style and my windows! I have had absolutely NO luck. I need curtains that are 95 inches in length, so pretty long.

At one point I wanted to order custom curtains from JCP but to my surprise the quote was $1900. I only need four curtains! Whoa!

I looked at Bed, Bath and Beyond, Macy's, JCP, Lowes, and every other store that I thought sold curtains. I wanted something that looked like a million dollars without spending a million dollars (don't we all?).

On my quest for the longest curtains known to (wo)man, I started to think maybe I should make them. I am an amateur seamstress and that's being far too generous. However, I do like a challenge.

I bought a couple patterns at Joann Fabrics.

I took out the pattern and almost fell over in shock. Nope, ain't gonna happen.

I searched for a local seamstress/tailor and found one about ten minutes from my home. I brought my extra material
that I had from reupholstering my chairs and handed over the pattern.

Although I would have liked to DIY these curtains myself, I recognize my strengths and weaknesses in the DIY department and sewing these bad boys was going to weigh more heavily on the weakness side. Good news is, the pattern for the curtains I'd like in the kitchen
are easy enough to DIY so that is a challenge I'm willing to take on.

Long story short, I am currently waiting to see the end product. I won't lie, I am quite nervous about seeing what the tailor produces. Maybe I should have given him some test material first. At $40 a yard (without a sale or coupon) I'm hoping that his talents are weighing on the strength side in this DIY!

No comments:

Post a Comment